Tuesday 22 May 2012

Brief 06 - Design Context Publication - Final Design

Here is the final design for my design context publication:


Open publication - Free publishing - More context

There are a total of 52 pages plus the cover, so I chose to split the book into 3 signatures (2 signatures with 4 sheets (16 pages each) and 1 signature with 5 sheets (20 pages)):

I saved the files as postscript files to get the pagination right for printing. Since the printing room is fully booked I will be printing the book down at the Vernon street building, and also binding it myself. I always intended to do this as the content is all work that inspires me, so making it myself gives it more of a personal touch to it. I am also a perfectionist when it comes to making things, and since I know a few others who have sent their books off to be printed haven't come out how they would have liked, doing it myself would mean I am in control of who it will end up.

I will be printing on to white matt paper and putting a black material covered hardback. I have also chosen turquoise/blue end papers to give a fresh, bright feel to the book, which will work nicely with a black card dust jacket with a turquoise foiled title.

Signature 1 ready for print:


Open publication - Free publishing - More context


Signature 2:

Signature 3:


Open publication - Free publishing - More context

After binding the book I also designed a dust jacket but first I had to measure it properly it cam ego 255mm height with 398 mm width (including 18 mm spine) and then for the flaps that tuck inside the book I asked Miek in th bubble if I could pritn somehow that was on the A3 printed but was abel to print bait longer as there would only be 10mm flap either side. I was able to print 470 width so that left 35mm flaps for the inside. I had to do it this way because I wanted to foil the title on the front and therefore have to print on an inkjet printer:

DC Publication - Dust Jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment